Friday, June 8, 2012

The Golden Rule

Dear Campers,
    
Great workout this morning!  I am so proud of each burpee I was able to complete and I hope you feel the same sense of accomplishment...it was stren-u-ous!   I just wanted to revisit the concept that I introduced to you this morning.

The Golden Rule of Change
1.  The cue (ex. - I am hungry) will always be the same.
2.  The process (ex. - I will eat an apple instead of a HoHo cake) has to change if you want a new loop to emerge.
3.  The reward (ex. - I am not hungry anymore) will always be the same. 
*In my opinion the reward is even greater when the desired process is accomplished.  It does not quantify this in the book, but I am taking the liberty to say that it does feel better to make new and healthier habits!   
 The ONLY thing that will break a bad habit loop is to change the process.  As I mentioned in workout this morning, maybe you need to take meal choices off the table in the beginning to help drive the new loop.  Establish a few "go to" meals to eat that do not require thought and simply create habitual behavior.  I know what my breakfast is going to be everyday without even thinking about it.  It's a habit.  If I start to "thinking" about it and put too many choices on the table, I get into trouble.   Maybe this new process will help you, I know it helps me.  
     
The habit loop has already transformed most campers at RBC.  Have you realized that RBC is now a habit for most of you?  The process happens when the alarm goes off at 4:25 you instantly get up, get dressed and get out the door.  When you change the process and stop to "think" about it, you end up hitting the snooze and skipping the workout.  Continue to explore the bad habits that you have and and the next time you find yourself saying, "I don't know why I do that," change the process and the reward will be fantastic.  I hope that your weekend is filled with family, friends and fun.  I will be praying for your safety, your strength and your success.  See you dark and early Monday.

Blessings,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment